Music Matters is back on Tuesday nights for its spring season in the Chapel at Whitgift House .
Paul Sherman launches our Spring series of Music Matters at 7.30p.m. on Tuesday 10 January with an exploration of the extraordinary life, music and times of the Bohemian baroque composer Jan Dismas Zelenka.
Paul, seen here in silhouette, enjoys a busy career playing double bass in a wide range of period, modern and contemporary orchestras and as a soloist. A member and regular principal player with the English Chamber Orchestra Paul has toured and performed with them in over 40 countries and until recently coordinated the orchestra’s outreach activities.
The Music Matters Spring Season continues on Tuesdays fortnightly:
- 24 January: Alison Hayhurst “The New-fangled Flute (1847-style)”
- 7 February: Margaret Archibald “Birds in music”
- 21 February: Nicoline Kraamwinkel and Rosanna Rolton “51 Strings – Music for Violin and Harp Explored”
- Tuesday 7 March: Julia Desbruslais and Tim Posner “Cellists’ Choice”
- Tuesday 21 March: Gala Night – Nicoline Kraamwinkel, Martin Smith, Mickey Posner and Julia Desbruslais string quartet with Margaret Archibald clarinet “Brahms Quintet in B minor, Op.115 explored and performed”
- Tuesday 4 April: William Carter “From the Royal Courts of Europe, Renaissance and Baroque music for the lute and guitar”
Entry on the door: £10; Gala Night 21 March £20; subscriptions available.
A couple of images from December 2016: